Headquarters: Salt Lake City, UT
Principal Full Stack Engineer
80% to 100% time (est. 120-160 hrs per month)
Pay TBD per Contractor Requirements
Limited to US-based Candidates Only
No recruiters or agencies, please
As a Principal Full Stack Engineer, you will be responsible for architecting custom web applications and features, along with driving the engineering team. You will be writing code, sharing knowledge, and delegating work. You will be expected to mentor mid-level and junior engineers. You must be able to communicate effectively with both fellow engineers, product owners, and clients. You will be expected to provide architectural and code review feedback. You will also be expected to document and promote best practices. You will use your experience shipping production code to help other developers make informed and forward looking decisions.
At Brevity we empower developers to also be QA engineers and DevOps engineers. This means that developers write application code, write automated tests, and own the infrastructure code. We also encourage developers to maintain experience across the full stack. We value diverse back-end and front-end development experience. We value developers that strive to stay informed about all aspects of software development and are not afraid to step outside their comfort zone.
- 7+ years of software engineering experience
- Able to write concise and meaningful tests (our developers are also QA engineers)
- Understands Infrastructure as Code (no pointing and clicking to deploy a database)
- Experience with AWS services and best practices
- Exposure to multiple programming languages during professional career
- Able to communicate complex concepts clearly and accurately
- Exposure to multiple data store technologies (relational databases, NoSQL databases, graph databases, full text search databases, distributed caches, etc.)
- Experience working with distributed messaging, queues, and streams
- Experience building REST and/or GraphQL APIs
- Hands-on experience with front-end and back-end development
- Experience using React or similar frontend library
- Experience implementing secure coding best practices and testing
- Experience in implementing security and privacy controls (HIPAA, PHI, PII and GDPR experience is a plus)
- Experience with DevOps automation and Infrastructure as Code with tools like Terraform or CloudFormation
- Experience with full stack development
- Willing to explore new approaches to solving problems and challenging the status quo
- Eager to improve processes via automation
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Perform all technical aspects of software development including design, hands-on engineering, developing framework & tooling including prototypes, and code review, mentor engineering peers and own and drive transformation with various technology domains
- Function as an engineering leader on an agile team to build scalable software solutions through consistent development practices (tools, common components, and documentation)
- Lead code reviews (Pull Requests)
- Lead and contribute into engineering excellence like automation of all testing areas.
- Lead Product Management and work closely with product owners in defining product and engineering roadmap
- Debug software components and identify code defects for remediation
- Leads the deployment, support, and monitoring of software across test, integration, and production environments
- Automate deployments in test or production environments
- Strong interpersonal leadership
- Demonstrate increased self-reliance to achieve team goals
- Influence team members with innovative changes and improvements by challenging status quo and demonstrating risk taking
- Be a productivity multiplier for your team by analyzing your workflow and contributing to enable the team to be more effective, productive, and demonstrating faster and stronger results
- Mentor and guide team members to success within the team
- Node.js, TypeScript
- Web Design (HTML, CSS, SASS)
- Serverless (AWS Lambda, Step Functions, Fargate, DynamoDB)
- AWS (Lambda, API Gateway, DynamoDB, Kinesis, SQS, S3, etc.)
- Terraform or Cloudformation
- Database Server Experience (PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc.)
- No SQL databases (MongoDB, Elasticsearch, DynamoDB, etc.)
- CI/CD Pipeline experience (GitHub Actions, Bitbucket Pipelines, etc.)
Who We Are
Brevity Inc. is a trusted software development team that produces purpose-built, secure, compliant, and scalable solutions for innovative businesses. Since 2013, we have served the complex software needs of a diverse group of business clients. From fledgling start-ups needing a dedicated development team to mid-size businesses seeking greater insights and efficiency to Fortune Global 500 industry leaders who challenge us to collaborate on cutting edge digital resources – we solve the hard problems. Our primary focus is on Web Applications, Cloud Computing, Big Data, Analytics & Reporting, and Security & Compliance.
We proudly call Salt Lake City, Utah our home with a US-based development team that spans the country.
Learn more at brevityhq.com
Learn more at brevityhq.com
We’re always seeking smart, innovative and forward-thinking people to join us. Brevity is committed to delivering projects and products that inspire and empower … and we can’t do it alone. If you share the following principles, we want to get to know you better.
We believe we’re different because we are highly curious people who are constantly learning. We seek out opportunities to explore and expand our knowledge.
We’re strongest when we work together. This means we leave our egos at the door and truly seek the best answers. We acknowledge and deeply respect one another. This is our strong foundation for solid relationships and great results.
We believe in being ethical and fair in all our interactions – internally and externally. This means doing the right thing, even if it doesn’t benefit the bottom line.
Equal Opportunities and Accommodations
Brevity is deeply committed to a workplace and global community where inclusion is not only valued, but prioritized. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, family status, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, neurodiversity, disability, age, or veteran status, or any other non-merit based or legally protected grounds.
We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in the employment application process. To request an accommodation, please contact us by email at email@example.com at least one week in advance of your interview.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/brevity-inc-principal-full-stack-engineer-web-application-development