United for Respect is a national organization building the voice of people working for the country’s largest corporations. Through scaled leadership development and base-building, UFR’s growing network is challenging major corporations and policymakers to provide familysustaining jobs for all working people. We leverage technology — social media, relational tools, and our digital platform, WorkIt — and bring the workforce into a shared community of support and advocacy.
The Chief Financial Officer is responsible for the overall management of the finance function as a part of UFR’s overall financial strategy. Reporting directly to the Executive Director, and as a member of the Executive Team, the Chief Financial Officer will lead the financial and fundraising strategy for UFREF and its related c4 and c5 entities to ensure that UFR has the financial resources and capability to function at its optimal level and have the capacity to execute UFR’s mission. The Chief Financial Officer will work collaboratively with the Executive Team and Senior Management team to not only lead the organization’s financial strategy but also be a partner in developing UFR’s organizational strategy and vision. They must be able to adapt to a continually evolving environment and thrive in an autonomous and deadline-oriented workplace while leading and managing a finance team on all facets of fiscal operations.
What You’ll Be Doing
Financial Planning and Strategy
- Lead the development of the organization’s overall strategy for financial sustainability, supported by scenario planning and forecasting to inform current-year and multi-year budgets and forecasting
- Develop the process, timeline and tools for the timely creation and approval of the annual budget thoughtfully engagement the Executive Team, Senior Management, Finance Committee and other staff in the process
- Oversee cash flow planning to ensure availability of funds as needed
- Manage all banking and investment relationships develop strategy for managing any credit facilities that may be needed, keeping overall fiscal health of the organization in mind
Financial Accounting, Reporting, and Systems
- Oversee and continuously improve key components of fiscal operations, including but not limited to accounts payable, accounts receivable, credit card expense reporting, month-end close protocols, grants management and reporting
- Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial policies and procedures safeguard all assets and ensure the integrity of financial reporting
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial management reporting for UFR staff, Finance Committee, Board of Directors, funders, federal/state funders, and other stakeholders
- Proactively analyze program operating results to identify potential issues and opportunities
- Review and assess financial systems/technology to ensure efficiency and effectiveness as well as compatibility with other organizational systems
- Manage and oversee fiscal staff to ensure all facets of fiscal operations are carried out with a high degree of accuracy, efficiency, and in compliance with internal policies and external compliance requirements
- Oversees the Finance Director’s around preparation of financial information for grant and contract proposals and complies with reporting submission deadlines
Audit, Compliance, and Board/External Communication
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions and processes ensure compliance with all local, state, and federal laws
- Serve as primary liaison with outside auditors and Finance and Audit Committee
- Lead the annual audit and tax return planning to ensure timely delivery of the audited financial statements review tax returns prepared by outside accountants prior to filing
- Ensure financial compliance and reporting for all contracts to ensure effective utilization and to maximize revenue
- Monitor and ensure compliance of the financial relationship between c3, c4, and PAC entities, including activity thresholds as well as cost sharing and resource reimbursement between entities
Finance Team Development & Oversight
- Mentor and supervise Finance Department talent and strengthen peer relationships to encourage knowledge sharing and innovation
- Provide training to the broader UFR staff in budgeting, financial management and other related topics.
Fundraising Strategy & Operations
- Working with the Development Director, identify gaps between funding and the organizational budget and create strategic fundraising plans to address these gaps
- Oversee and/or manage special projects as assigned
What You Will Bring
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required; CPA license and/or MBA highly preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in a financial management position within a non-profit, with experience building, leading, and managing a fiscal staff team
- Experience with the complexities of the allowable interplay between c3, c4, and c5 entities required
- Experience in a senior financial management role, partnering with executive staff to develop and implement creative and effective financial management strategies
- Demonstrated, advanced knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and administrative practices related to the non-profit sector, including sophistical fund and grant accounting, compliance, and reporting
- Thorough knowledge of budget preparation, federal grants and contracts, endowment operations, cash flow projections and financial analysis, federal and local accounting requirements
- Extensive experience optimizing accounting systems and related systems to maximize utility of financial reporting and effective and efficient financial processes
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite, including advanced MS Excel skills
- Interest in, and ability to help non-finance staff understand key financial concepts, financial reports, and ability to engage in essential finance-related processes (e.g. budgeting and forecasting)
- Demonstrated leadership ability, team management, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organizational skills
We’re Excited About You Because You
- Thrive in collaborative working environments and actively seek ways to make your work stronger by sharing your expertise and strengths and leveraging those of others
- Have demonstrated experience contributing to an inclusive working and professional development environment
- Are calm in a crisis, agile, and have great instincts about how to pivot quickly when needed
- Proven track record for being a self-starter.
- Embrace technology as an enabler to help you get your job done and to collaborate in a culture that promotes passion in technology.
Salary Range: $120,000-140,000k dependent on experience and location
Click Here to Apply Now! *Also, Make Sure to Include That You Heard About this Role from GlobalCareer.io
Is the Chief Financial Officer Not a Perfect Fit?
Struggling to land your remote dream job? If you are struggling to find a remote job and want paid assistance you can apply for our Remote Life Program here.
Click Here to Download The Top 100 Remote Companies E-Book W/ Remote Industry Insights.