MoveOn is a diverse and vibrant community of millions of people working together to create progressive change in America. We are an innovative campaigning organization that supports people throughout the country to take action through driving impactful campaigns that influence the behavior of people and institutions, shape the outcomes of elections and expand the realities of what’s possible. We organize to challenge entrenched power, while pursuing economic, racial, and social justice and a vision of a country in which everyone can thrive.
MoveOn has a vital role to play in securing progress during the Biden-Harris administration and in organizing the grassroots to set up election wins in 2021, 2022, and beyond. We are building a powerful, multiracial, and economic populist movement, and fighting for progress on health care, climate, racial justice and more. In service of that mission, in 2021 and beyond, MoveOn will drive impactful, movement-connected, multichannel, nimble campaigns aimed at impact.
We are looking for a leader to oversee our People, Talent, and Organizational Development work. This person will lead in creating internal organizational policies; personnel management and leadership development; recruitment and hiring; diversity, equity, and inclusion programs; and overall management of organizational culture and morale. This person is a key member of the executive team and will support the management for the organization as a whole. The Director of People is a high-level, strategic leader and project manager with experience in organizational development and HR operations.
- As a key member of the executive team, provide sound strategic advice and support to the Executive Director and the Chief of Staff and together drive the day-to-day management of the organization. As a member of the executive team, you’ll be part of the senior management team and help coach and provide strategic direction and guidance to all senior managers.
- Oversee the hiring and development of strong talent, our work to center equity across the organization, and our collective efforts to shape the organizational culture.
- Develop and manage internal organizational policies that support employees and ensure legal compliance in partnership with our employment counsel.
- Provide coaching and skills development among new and existing managers, as well as all staff.
- Design systems and processes to implement complex internal policies
- Oversee compensation structure and process and benefits offerings (benefits administration happens within a different team).
- Manage organizational risk, including but not limited to legal and reputation risks.
- Oversee performance management, including managing staff evaluations, coaching managers through handling performance challenges, and supporting the organization to have a strong culture of feedback.
- Manage the organization’s ongoing diversity, equity and inclusion work, including working with a team of DEI consultants and overseeing internal working groups, and deepening staff skills to ensure that we bring a strong equity lens to our internal and external work.
- Foster and steward a culture steeped in the organization’s values .
- 5+ years of HR experience (leading an organization of similar scope and complexity to MoveOn or supporting a significant part of an organization as HR lead)
- Experience in developing skills in new and existing managers; experience regularly coaching managers through challenges and opportunities
- 2+ years of experience in working at a nonprofit or a political organization
- Experience developing internal organizational policies with a strong legal and compliance lens in partnership with employment counsel
- A relational manager with high emotional intelligence and experience being emotionally supportive to staff during stressful or difficult periods
- Strong project management skills to develop and drive systems and processes in a complex organization
- Preferably has experience organizing DEI programming and managing internal working groups
- Acts with high integrity, professionalism, low ego, and camaraderie
- Strong equity lens, including:
- Strong awareness of issues of equity that impact an organization internally
- Demonstrated ability to manage equitably and develop equitable decision-making processes
- Strong listening skills and a track record of inclusive decision-making
- Demonstrated leadership skills, especially in relation to aligning multiple teams and/or stakeholders outside of their line management
- Deep commitment to MoveOn’s vision
Reports to: Chief of Staff
Location: Position may be based anywhere in the contiguous United States. May require occasional travel.
Salary and Benefits: At MoveOn, we commit to equity in our compensation philosophy and practices. We are committed to equal pay for equal work. To counter systemic compensation issues in this country and pay inequality, we have a nonnegotiable compensation practice. We utilize benchmarking and peer organization data to ensure we provide competitive nonprofit compensation and benefits. The salary for this position is $143,738.42. In addition to the base salary, we offer a home office subsidy. We also offer an internet and phone subsidy of $2,100 and a health and wellness subsidy of $900 annually. All of these cash benefits are added to your bimonthly paycheck.
We offer strong medical, dental, and vision benefits, which are free to employees and children of employees (spouses or domestic partners can be added at a subsidized rate). We offer employer-paid premiums for life insurance; four weeks accrued paid vacation time per year, prorated for the period that you work; 18 weeks of paid parental leave (birth, adoption, foster care placement of a child), 10 days accrued paid sick time prorated for the period that you work; paid family medical leave; and 8 staff holidays and 6 floating holidays. We contribute 5% to your 401(k) after six months of employment. We also offer $1,000 in professional development budget each year for each staff member.
Click Here to Apply Now! *Also, Make Sure to Include That You Heard About this Role from GlobalCareer.io
Is the Director of People Not a Perfect Fit?
Struggling to land your remote dream job? If you are struggling to find a remote job and want paid assistance you can apply for our Remote Life Program here.
Click Here to Download The Top 100 Remote Companies E-Book W/ Remote Industry Insights.