UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination and violence against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women’s China Office in Beijing supports and carries out work on (i) enhancing women’s economic empowerment; (ii) ending violence against women; and (iii) innovative work to address gender issues in China. In addition to the above, UN Women also actively participates and contributes to various UN inter-agency processes and collaborates with UN organizations around specific programme areas.
Both the internal and external communications require support on editing on strategic results, valuable good practices, key messages and other documents to ensure high quality and timely roll out of the messages and reports. The needs for communication work for outreach and reporting are a key to mobilize resources and support to strengthen UN Women branding and position better in the country, region and global level. These require that the UN Women China Office has comparable capacity to meet the demand of writing and reporting needs, providing quality control and reflecting the results-based discipline, in order to support and strengthen media, advocacy and strategic partnerships development.
UN Women China office is seeking to recruit an English Editor on a retainer contract, whose duties are as articulated below. Under the guidance and supervision of Head of UN Women China Office with matrix reporting to the relevant programme manager as relevant, the English Editor provides writing and editing services ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of our communications and reporting work. The Editor promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UN Women rules and regulations. The Editor works in close collaboration with the Communications Officer and programme team to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Office, the English Editor will be responsible for the achievement of the following tasks and deliverables:
- Editing, revising, rewriting and formatting as needed to produce high quality, reader-friendly, accessible, timely, results-based corporate communications materials including but not limited to stories, speeches, key messages and other documents aligned with UN Women’s established standards and formats, and in compliance with UN Women China office clearance and routing process.
- Drafting speech and communication briefs for office events, as needed
- Report writing and editing based on the corporate and programme needs.
- Other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
The editor will be engaged under a retainer contract, which facilitates direct engagement of the editor depending on need and availability within the contract period for a pre-agreed fee.
Communications materials, reports and other documents and materials that reflect high quality, result based standard and format established by UN Women.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Required Skills and Experience
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Master’s degree or other advanced degree in one or more of the following disciplines: social sciences, international development, and/or communications, or Bachelor’s degree in those fields with 10 years of work experience in writing, editing, and reporting.
- Demonstrated abilities and track record writing high quality English-language communication materials and reports, preferably within the UN system.
- Minimum of 7 years of high-level experience in writing, editing, reporting, and communicating complex research, policy and programmatic information in reader-friendly formats and styles.
- Excellent understanding and experience with gender-sensitive and results-based management, communication, and reporting.
- Understanding of international development, resource mobilization, and the UN context is highly desirable
- Must be capable of effectively using MS Word, PowerPoint Presentation and Excel.
- Flexibility and responsiveness to work-request, ability to work independently and effective time management as asset
Is this remote job not a perfect fit?
Struggling to land your remote dream job? If you are struggling to find a remote job and want paid assistance you can apply for our Remote Life Program here.