We’re looking for a well-rounded designer who is interested in growing their design, code, and consulting skill-set over time, to join our Europe, Middle East & Africa (EMEA) team. In this role, you’ll partner closely with engineers and clients to help solve problems and grow products. Designers in this role will wear many hats, so we’re hoping to see both examples of UI and UX work and examples of front-end engineering in your portfolio. Thoughtbot is looking to hire a new product designer to join our remote team!
thoughtbot is a Work From Anywhere company. You will also become a member of our global thoughtbot community. This a remote position available to anyone in the GMT through GMT +3 timezones.
We believe that it is possible to continuously learn and improve the way people work while building higher-quality products that make positive contributions to the world. We work with companies in every step of the product development and maintenance process to help identify and solve problems. We lead and participate in product design sprints, build high-quality apps, and then deploy them.
We proactively work on improving diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at thoughtbot. We aim to maintain an inclusive work environment where everyone can thrive professionally, as well as have full lives outside of work. Read about our DEI efforts in the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion section of our Playbook. We acknowledge that DEI work is never done and that we will make mistakes along the way. We are continuously working on learning, improving ourselves, and the company.
As a member of thoughtbot, you’ll be part of our distributed remote community. We’re continuously working to assure remote work is inclusive, collaborative, comfortable, and social.
Want to dig deeper? Read more about our Purpose and Values, how we work in our Playbook, or check out this video to hear from our team.
You value design and employ a broad set of design tools using the best for the project
- You communicate user flows and know which tool to use depending on the scope and phase of the project. You seek out new tools, try them out, and assess whether its best for the task at hand.
- You demonstrate and articulate an understanding of layout, typography, visual hierarchy, and accessibility in web and mobile interfaces.
- You see code as a design tool. You understand that your design needs to be carried through to the platform that it is designed for. For web applications, this means implementing your designs with HTML & CSS, maintaining a clean markup and style, and working with our Developers in Git. You can examine how these same implementation principles apply to mobile, service design, and experience design.
You pride yourself on being a good teammate.
- You foster a highly collaborative and inclusive design process and workplace.
- You live out and uphold our thoughtbot values and purpose, actively shaping these values to make sure they continue to align with the entire team.
You think strategically.
- You research to gain understanding, conduct user interviews and usability tests, and document ethnographic research or other methods, so you can synthesize well and craft actionable steps from it.
- You take responsibility for the user experience for the products you work on
- You think iteratively and holistically about how to release design in small pieces and regularly look for opportunities to validate the team’s ideas.
You are a leader.
- You take the initiative to lead rather than waiting for somebody else to.
- You describe yourself as a self-starter and take part in our team goals, lead a group of people through iterative design exercises, and in the design community by writing, participating in online forums and networks, and attending meetups and conferences.
You have experience with consulting.
- You communicate well and show your work often to clients and teammates
- You articulate design decisions well and can give constructive and impactful feedback to others. You know to support clients through learning more about design, validating products, and through difficult situations or tough conversations.
- You communicate complex ideas clearly and succinctly, helping educate the client.
You can contribute to some of our team’s goals.
- You have experience with facilitating design sprints and building design systems
- You have an interest in impactful projects in healthcare, education, and social good
Well-qualified candidates value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
We especially appreciate candidates that demonstrate commitment to valuing DEI and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment. We also understand that not everyone has had the opportunity to commit to this work, and that’s okay.
We encourage you to apply even if you don’t match 100% of the requirements. Let us know if you need any specific accommodations during the interview process.
About the interview process:
There are a few stages to the process that include conversations with managers and pairing sessions on design and coding. It’s okay if you do not meet every requirement, we encourage you to apply.
Benefits vary by location. Employees in the UK will receive company-matched pension contributions and private health insurance. For new parents we offer additional paid leave on top of your statutory rights.
Our team works in a relaxed and educational environment to develop excellent products for our clients. We work a sustainable pace of 40 hours/week. We also reserve at least 4 weeks per year for investing in ourselves, the company, and our community. Everything we do is predicated on having a great team and a culture of growing. We use the latest technologies and are always down to try new methods on both internal and client projects.
thoughtbot does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.
thoughtbot does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes not originating directly from a candidate and sent to thoughtbot or any thoughtbot’s employees, including unsolicited resumes sent to a thoughtbot mailing address or email address, are rejected. thoughtbot will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. thoughtbot considers any candidate for whom the recruiter has submitted an unsolicited resume referred by the company free of any fees.
Click Here to Apply Now! *Also, Make Sure to Include That You Heard About this Role from GlobalCareer.io
Is the Product Designer Not a Perfect Fit?
Struggling to land your remote dream job? If you are struggling to find a remote job and want paid assistance you can apply for our Remote Life Program here.
Click Here to Download The Top 100 Remote Companies E-Book W/ Remote Industry Insights.