Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
The four-year plus one year No Cost Extension period with $16.6 million Ethiopia Performance Monitoring and Evaluation Service (EPMES) Activity aims to provide USAID/Ethiopia with project/activity external evaluation, performance monitoring, and performance management support services in alignment with the USAID Automated Directives System (ADS) and Evaluation Policy. This contract assists USAID/Ethiopia and its partners to generate empirical data on project/activity implementation as well as foster learning and knowledge management to improve evidence-based development programming for activities, projects, and USAID/Ethiopia’s Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS, 2019-2024).
EPMES will conduct a review of Activity Learning, Monitoring, and Evaluation (LME) plans, with the following objectives:
- Streamline indicators reported to USAID to: ensure compliance with ADS 201 indicator requirements, reduce reporting burden, and align with CDCS- and Project-level indicators and Mission-external reporting
- For select Activities, in addition to indicator streamlining, review full Activity LME Plans to: ensure compliance with ADS 201 requirements, identify opportunities to increase a focus on LME for learning and CLA, and align with CDCS- and Project-level learning priorities
- Generate evidence on the strengths and weaknesses of Activity LME Plans to inform future capacity building efforts for USAID/Ethiopia implementing mechanisms
- Test and refine tools for AORs/CORs to use in Activity LME Plan quality assurance, and help familiarize AORs/CORS with using those tools
SI is seeking a consultant to serve as a Project Manager/Technical Specialist for the Activity LME Plan reviews. This person will be responsible for coordinating tasks for one of two sub-teams. Each sub-team will be responsible for select sectors of the Activity LME Plan reviews. The Project Manager/Technical Specialist will also contribute to overall team analysis and reporting.
Period of Performance and Level of Effort: The estimated period of performance for this role is mid-July, 2020-February 2021, with the majority of work happening from mid-July-October 2020. During this more intense period, this role is expected to be at least 75% of full-time work, with availability during this time being a requirement for selection. The precise schedule and level of effort is being finalized, however, and will be communicated in the interview process.
Remote Work: This position will be 100% remote. While location is flexible, the consultant must be willing to join occasional early morning calls given the availability of Addis-based staff (equivalent to 1-3pm EAT).
We strongly encourage qualified Ethiopian applicants to apply for this position, but EPMES also welcomes international applicants.
Under the guidance of the Team Leader and in coordination with other team members, the Project Manager/Technical Specialist will:
- Coordinate sub-team tasks and follow-up, including providing regular progress updates
- Support drafting and finalization of review tools, including: process maps, timeline, review checklists, and indicator mapping tool
- Participate in training to ensure consistency and quality among the team
- Organize and conduct indicator mapping for select Activities
- Conduct full Activity LME Plan review, including review checklist and summary recommendations, for select Activities
- Participate in consultation calls with USAID on full Activity LME Plan reviews
- Participate in analysis from cross-review aggregation for a final synopsis slide deck on the full Activity LME Plan review process
- Develop template for Activity LME Plans
- Participate in team and sub-team meetings as needed
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience in a related field, in addition to at least five years of experience with monitoring and learning for USAID (directly or with implementing partners)
- Strong knowledge of ADS 201 requirements for monitoring, evaluation, and learning
- Experience developing or reviewing Activity LME Plans for USAID
- Experience developing utilization-focused MEL tools
- Expertise in one or more USAID/Ethiopia priority sectors: disaster risk management, resilience, economic growth, WASH, health, or democracy and governance
- Detail oriented to ensure quality and consistency
- Proactive and clear communicator, including excellent verbal and written communication
- Exceptional management experience, including cross-cultural management competencies
- Ability to organize, manage, prioritize, and follow through on multiple tasks in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Strong work ethic and the ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Written and oral fluency in English required
Click Here to Apply Now! *Also, Make Sure to Include That You Heard About this Role from GlobalCareer.io
Is the Project Manager Not a Perfect Fit?
Struggling to land your remote dream job? If you are struggling to find a remote job and want paid assistance you can apply for our Remote Life Program here.
Click Here to Download The Top 100 Remote Companies E-Book W/ Remote Industry Insights.