Overview: Groundswell Fund is a public foundation that resources intersectional, solidarity based grassroots organizing work that centers Black women, Indigenous women and other women of color including Transgender women of color. We fund within many social justice movements and are the largest funder of the U.S. Reproductive Justice (RJ) movement. For more than a decade, we have enabled foundations and individual donors to increase the impact of their giving by offering a different kind of philanthropic model. Different in who we are: A program staff of women of color, transgender people of color, and gender nonconforming people of color who come directly out of community and labor organizing and have a combined 70+ years of grassroots organizing and civic engagement experience within communities of color; a board comprised of grassroots leaders shaping strategy alongside funders and donors. Different in who we support: primarily Black and Brown women, including transgender women of color who are organizing at the grassroots. Different in how we support the field: not just through grants, but also through capacity-building support focused on boosting grassroots power, and funder organizing that lifts up our grantees to a larger audience of funders and donors who can move resources to their work, whether or not these resources come through our doors. Groundswell moves at least 80 percent of the dollars that come in our doors back out to the field.
Since 2003, Groundswell has moved more than $60 million to the field in grants and capacity building support; increased the giving of dozens of national and local foundations; and helped bring thousands of new individual donors into the RJ movement. Our grantees have been instrumental in the passage of more than 250 pro-RJ policies at the state and local level and in blocking many regressive policies, and they have built a growing grassroots base of support for RJ across the U.S. In 2017, we expanded our funding to support multi-issue organizing led by WOC and transgender people of color across other social justice movement sectors, from environmental and economic justice, to immigrant and LGBTQ rights, and on. We also launched a 501(c)(4), Groundswell Action Fund, now the largest c4 fund in the country centering WOC-led c4 work.
The General Accountant’s role is to assist the Senior Accountant to ensure the fiscal integrity and financial compliance of Groundswell Fund and Groundswell Action Fund. The General Accountant is responsible for the timely and accurate entry of all financial transactions into the accounting systems and related spreadsheets, managing all accounting activities, related consultants, and accounting systems with general supervision.
- Perform all accounting job duties complying with generally accepted accounting practices for 501c3 and 501c4 nonprofit accounting, internal controls and follow organizational accounting policies and procedures
- Liaison with the HR & Operations Manager recording payroll in the general ledger
- Supervise cloud-based accounts payable including credit card processing, accounts receivable, cash receipts, cash disbursements and accounting folders
- Supervise and reconciles contractor tracking sheet and prepares annual 1099’s
- Works with the grant making team to reconcile grant payments monthly
- Works with the development team to reconcile monthly cash receipts monthly
- Manage period-end financial activity by staff. Including, but not limited to:
- Coordinating monthly Credit Card processing
- Submission of staff monthly Groundswell Action Fund timesheets
- Assists the CFO with monthly and year-end closings, financial reports, and budgets
- Liaises with staff to ensure that accounting procedures and internal controls are followed
- Assists with 2 annual fiscal audits by an outside CPA firm
Related Ongoing Tasks
- Manages internal and external operational systems and processes for finance
- Liaises with vendors, insurance, and banks regarding account issues and requests
- Collaborate with the Finance Team to provide staff trainings and orientations
- Works with all employees, including department Directors, on financial matters
- Assists CFO with creation and implementation of financial policies and practices, including, when time allows, research regarding best practices and regulations
- Participates in all-staff meetings and activities to foster excellent teamwork and to keep abreast of organization’s current work, thus facilitating proper handling of financial transactions
- Participation in organizational activities including staff planning and work evaluation
- Responsible for managing the electronic filing system for financials documents in SharePoint
- Utilizes direct communication and pro-active problem-solving to address internal organizational challenges and disagreements
- Works pro-actively and in good faith to support and strengthen the overall stability and effectiveness of the organization
- Completes required reports and paperwork accurately and within agreed upon time frame
- Performs other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, it is important that the candidate have at least 3 years of experience, including:
- Experience with CPA audits
- Experience with fund accounting
- Experience working with $5 million budget or more
- GAAP knowledge required
- Nonprofit accounting experience required
Our team is growing and a successful candidate in this position could advance to a higher financial role in Groundswell and will work closely with the Senior Accountant.
Travel: When travel is safe again, must be available to travel at least 3 times a year for overnight events/meetings across the U.S.
Compensation/Benefits: Annual salary is $65,000 – $75,000 or commensurate with experience. Very generous benefits include fully paid for employee and family health, dental, vision, matching 401K plan, as well as additional employer-provided reimbursements for fertility expenses, transgender health care costs and midwifery/doula expenses that are not covered by traditional insurance. Three weeks of vacation upon hire and a generous holiday schedule including the last week of December, as well as a flexible work schedule.
To Apply: Please email a resume, three professional references, and a cover letter that includes your salary expectations and describes why you feel you are a strong candidate for this position to: email@example.com, subject line: General Accountant Application. Applications received by January 18, 2021 will be given preference but applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. Due to the high volume of applications, only those selected for further discussion will be contacted. Please, no phone calls.
Equal Employment Opportunity: The Groundswell Fund is a 501(c)(3) public charity incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and that enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of races, ethnicities, national origins, ages, sexual orientations, gender identities, beliefs, religions, faiths and ideologies, cultures, socio-economic backgrounds and levels of physical ability.
Click Here to Apply Now! *Also, Make Sure to Include That You Heard About this Role from GlobalCareer.io
Is the Senior Accountant Not a Perfect Fit?
Struggling to land your remote dream job? If you are struggling to find a remote job and want paid assistance you can apply for our Remote Life Program here.
Click Here to Download The Top 100 Remote Companies E-Book W/ Remote Industry Insights.