Are you interested in becoming a Senior Data Engineer? We’re looking for a Senior Data Engineer to join the data team at Zapier. Interested in helping grow a product that helps the world automate their work so they can get back to living? Then read on
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. We hope you’ll take the leap and apply.
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
- You have experience in SQL: You’ve used written complex SQL queries that join across data from multiple systems, matching them up even when there was not a straightforward way to join the tables. You’ve designed tables with an eye towards ease of use and high performance. You’ve documented schemas and created data dictionaries.
- You are a skilled written communicator. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication.
- You appreciate our team’s values of eagerness to collaborate with teammates from any function of the organization or with any level of data knowledge, iterating over your deliverables, and being curious.
- You understand that the perfect is the enemy of the good and default to action by shipping MVP code and iterating as needed to get towards better solutions.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEBODY WHO WOULD MAKE A SUCCESSFUL DATA ENGINEER…
- You have experience with APIs: You’ve ingested large quantities of data from RESTful APIs.
- You have experience and a comfort level with programming. You can read and write code in Python, Go, Rust, Java, or C#. You’re familiar with distributed source control using Git.
- You have experience running infrastructure needed to orchestrate data pipelines, store data with different retention and performance requirements, and perform compute for multiple loads. Experience with tools like Ansible, Terraform, and/or Vagrant is a plus.
- You understand columnar-store file formats like Orc or Parquet and are also familiar with Avro and Avro schemas.
THINGS YOU MIGHT DO
Zapier is a startup, so you’ll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. Here are some things you’ll get a taste of:
- Develop ETL to ingest and transform data from upstream databases and APIs into a data warehouse. The tools used include AWS Redshift, NiFi, Kafka, Matillion ETL, and custom Python.
- Build, deploy, and continuously improve the infrastructure used by our data scientists and data and business analysts. The tools we have been using here include Docker, Terraform, Ansible, Kubernetes, and AWS EC2.
- As a part of Zapier’s all-hands philosophy, help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible.
ABOUT DATA AT ZAPIER
Zapier relies on dozens of systems that emit data about Zapier and our potential and current users and partners. This data is useful for us to make a better product, better decisions, and understand our weaknesses and opportunities. The data team at Zapier pulls this data from DBs, APIs, and event streams, collocates it and then processes it through all the disparate systems to bring them together in a reliable, timely, performant, and easy to understand way for the employees and systems that need it.
Within the data team, we’re made up of several subteams: Data Ops focusing on data infrastructure and storage, compute, ingest, and dimensional modeling; Data Products focusing on building statistical and ML tools and models; and Data Governance.
Our stack is best summed up by: AWS Redshift (and the related AWS products AWS Glue, Redshift Spectrum, AWS S3), Looker, Airflow, Matillion ETL, Kafka, Python, and NiFi. But we’re pragmatic — for example, we have some Java for ingesting data from Kafka, and we use Clojure for inferring schema and other information about data sets.
Since 2011, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
Location: Planet Earth.
Our team of 300+ is distributed because it lets us work with the best people. You don’t have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary (we pay based on the norms of your country)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- 2-3 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We’ll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn’t a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you’ll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US-, Canada- and UK-based employees. Optional: Share anonymously some demographic information about yourself to help us better track trends related to the backgrounds of candidates interested in working at Zapier in order for us to build a team that represents the users at Zapier and the broader world population.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We’re excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.