As a DevOps Engineer, you’ll be working with the engineering team to monitor and improve our security, infrastructure, and performance.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Elevating our DevOps standards through improved monitoring, tooling, and processes
- Planning and performing infrastructure improvements and maintenance
- Monitoring and improving website stability and response times
- Monitoring and improving email deliverability
- Participating in the on-call rotation
- Triaging, replicating, and fixing potential security issues
- Maintaining high CI build success rates and low CI build run times
Currently, our entire platform is built as a majestic Rails monolith, using Vue.js with Typescript on the front-end.
More details about our tech stack:
- Testing is done with RSpec & Capybara
- Continuous integration and deployment are done with CircleCI
- MySQL and PostgreSQL for our main databases
- Redis and KeyDB for our activity feeds, session storage, queue management, and caching (currently migrating to ScyllaDB)
- ElasticSearch for full-text search
- DevOps using Containers orchestrated with Kubernetes and Helm
- Service and performance monitoring is done with DataDog and NewRelic
We’re looking for someone who has proven experience building and maintaining large production-level Ruby on Rails applications.
Ideally, you have experience:
- Working with MySQL, PostgreSQL, or Redis
- Maintaining infrastructure with Docker, Kubernetes, and Google Cloud
- Setting up and maintaining application and infrastructure monitoring
- Managing database performance
Additionally, since we’re 100% remote, we:
- Highly value strong written communicators
- Require at least a few hours of overlap from 8-12 AM EST (2-6 PM CET)
Unique to Us
Every organization is a bit different, here are some unique things about us:
- We believe the traditional hiring process is broken, so we do things a bit differently. We first bring people on a part-time or full-time contractor so that we can get to know each other. If both sides enjoy working with each other, we make you an official offer.
- We have little to no meetings, we focus on written async communication instead
- The tenure of a DevOps Engineer at FetLife is 2-3x longer than average
- You will work on high-impact projects that will make a difference in many people’s lives
- You can always ask questions to your team when you get stuck, but we do appreciate people who are self-sufficient
- Get to learn a lot because we are a small team and everyone gets to work on different parts of the system. Nobody specializes.
- We value focused productive work over long hours. We don’t want people to burn out. We want people to work at a consistent pace they can maintain year after year
FetLife is the largest kinky social network on this side of the milky way. We:
- Have over 10 million members and growing
- Grew 100% by word-of-mouth
- Serve over 1.5 billion requests a day
You can find our team and core valuesÂ here.
Pay & Benefits
We use a standardised salary calculator for each position to ensure we are competitive, fair, and consistent. For this specific role, the rate is between $115kÂ -Â $155k USD / year. Rate is dependent on the level you are currently at.
Additionally, we offer:
- Paid time off:
- 2 weeks vacation
- 5 statutory holidays (e.g. Easter & Thanksgiving)
- 2 weeks during Christmas*
- 4 day work weeks during the summer months (July & August)*
- 1 retreat a year (ex. the last one’s were in Miami, Vancouver, Tennessee & Montreal)
- A yearly anniversary gift of your choosing (200$ USD for every year with us, ex. 4th anniversary is $800)
- Reimbursed music subscription
- Fully paid maternal or parental leave
* Not guaranteed, but have happened every year