At TRM, we’re on a mission to build a safer financial system for billions of people around the globe. Our next-generation platform, which combines threat intelligence with machine learning, enables financial institutions and governments to detect cryptocurrency fraud and financial crime on an unprecedented scale.
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Data Platform team, you will collaborate with an experienced team of data scientists, engineers, and product managers to build highly available and scalable data infrastructure for TRM’s products and services. You will be deeply involved in the technical details of building scalable data pipelines and highly available infrastructure and ultimately work to build a safer financial system for billions of people.
Your responsibilities could include
- Building highly reliable data services to integrate with dozens of blockchains
- Creating ETL pipelines that transform and process petabytes of structured and unstructured data in real-time, ultimately helping financial institutions and governments fight fraud and criminal activity
- Designing data models for optimal storage and retrieval to support sub-second latency for querying blockchain data
- Deploying and monitoring large database clusters that are performant and highly-available
- Design systems, patterns, and processes for ingesting new data from the open and dark web used by teams across TRM
- Working cross-functionally with data scientists, backend engineers and product managers to design and implement, and new data models to support the product
- Developing your skills through exceptional training as well as frequent coaching and mentoring from colleagues
Some of the traits we value
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science or related field
- 5+ years of experience building real-time and distributed system architecture, from whiteboard to production
- Strong programming skills in Python, and SQL or SparkSQL.
- Versatility. Experience across the entire spectrum of data engineering, including:
- Data stores (e.g., ClickHouse, ElasticSearch, Postgres, Redis, and Neo4j)
- Data pipeline and workflow orchestration tools (e.g., Airflow, DBT, Luigi, Azkaban, Storm)
- Data processing technologies and streaming workflows (e.g., Spark, Kafka, Flink)
- Deployment and monitoring infrastructure in public cloud platforms (e.g., Docker, Terraform, Kubernetes, Datadog)
- Loading, querying and transforming large data sets
- You’re comfortable working with noisy, dirty and unstructured data to cleanse, scrape and convert it into structured data
- Adaptable. Goals can change fast. You anticipate and react quickly.
- Autonomous. You own what you work on. You move fast and get things done.
- Excellent communication. You will need communicate complex ideas effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences, and both verbally and in writing
- Collaborative. You must work collaboratively in a cross-functional team and with people at all levels in an organization
TRM Labs is a blockchain intelligence company that helps financial institutions, crypto businesses and government agencies detect and investigate crypto-related financial crime and fraud. Our products are trusted by leading companies including PayPal, Visa, FTX, Uniswap, Anchorage, and federal agencies such as the FBI and Dept. of Treasury. Every day, we tackle challenges in data engineering, data science, and threat intelligence to advance our mission to build a safer financial system for billions of people.
To accomplish our mission, we have raised nearly $80M from JPMorgan Chase, Visa, Citi, PayPal, Block, Tiger Global and Bessemer. Our team is made up of world class experts from the FBI, U.S. Secret Service, US Treasury Department, McKinsey, Coinbase, and top-tier tech companies.
TRM is a remote-first workplace, with hubs in San Francisco, Washington, DC and London. We are looking for people with grit, passion, and humility to join our global team.
- Impact Oriented Trailblazer – We define high-impact targets through customer centricity, prioritization, and adaptability.
- Master Craftsperson – We execute efficiently to achieve goals through good judgment, velocity, and grit.
- Inspiring Colleague – We elevate team performance through integrity, apprenticeship, and positive energy.
Our Employee Benefits
- Remote-first work environment, with optional in-person offices
- Regular team off-sites and retreats
- Competitive salaries and stock options
- Premium health, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA, HSA, and 401K programs
- Life & disability coverage
- Paid time for vacations, volunteering, sick leave, and generous parental leave
- Fitness, co-working, and home office reimbursements
- Professional learning and development stipends
We encourage you to reach out even if your experience doesn’t precisely match the job description. Do not worry about picking exactly the right job; we can always explore other options after starting the conversation. Your passion and interests will set you apart, especially if your background or career is unconventional. Join us!