The Talk Mission is the team within Spotify responsible for building the best tools for podcast, video, and live creators. We have three platforms that help us deliver a great creator experience: Anchor (the platform that allows you to create, distribute, monetize, and grow a podcast, all for free), Spotify for Podcasters (the platform that makes it easy to understand and engage with your listeners on Spotify, and Spotify Live (the platform that allows anyone to stream and interact with live audio).
We are looking for a Backend Engineer Intern to help us build solutions focused on enabling podcast creators to live off their art. You will join our team of hardworking engineers that share a common interest in building reliable, scalable and distributed backend systems. You will join our team of passionate and knowledgeable engineers to help build the backend systems that power our applications and contribute to continuously improving our engineering practices.
What you’ll do
- Help build production-ready features on our Anchor, Spotify for Podcasters and Spotify Live applications.
- Work closely with the engineering team to achieve a high level of code quality, performance and reliability.
- Keep code maintainable through extensive documentation and automated tests.
- Describe implementation decisions with peer code reviews and walkthroughs.
- Learn about multiple modern technologies ranging from user facing software to backend infrastructure.
- Partner with your engineering manager, product manager, technical lead to scope and execute your tasks.
Who you are
- You are pursuing a Bachelorâs or Masterâs degree in Software Development, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or other related fields and plan to graduate in 2023 or 2024.
- You are curious and a self-starter whoâs looking to make an impact.
- You pride yourself in excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- You enjoy collaborative work in a dynamic, challenging and team-based environment.
Where you’ll be
- We are a distributed workforce enabling our band members to find a work mode that is best for them!
- Where in the world? For this role, it can be within the Americas region in which we have a work location. Preferably in New York.
- Prefer an office to work from home instead? Not a problem! We have plenty of options for your working preferences. Find more information about our Work From Anywhere options here.
- Working hours? We operate within the Eastern Standard time zone for collaboration.
Our paid summer internships last for 10-13 weeks and start at the beginning of June. The last day to apply is February 7th, 2023 at 10AM EST.
The United States hourly rate for this position is 33.00 USD (Undergraduate First Year & Sophomores), 42.00 USD (Undergraduate Juniors & Seniors), 49.00 USD (Masters) & 58.00 USD (PhD) per hour plus a one time intern stipend of 2,253 USD. This position is overtime eligible. These rates may be modified in the future.
Spotify is an equal opportunity employer. You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or whatâs playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be forward-thinking! So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. Itâs in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the chance to enjoy and be passionate about these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the worldâs most popular audio streaming subscription service.